It’s on everyone’s bucket list – the most amazing and exciting sporting event in the world, a bareback, no-holds-barred historic horse race around the main Piazza of the medieval city of Siena, and this is your opportunity to experience it! Join us for our Days of the Palio tour and you will be immersed in this important cultural event when we take ten lucky people to Siena for the July 2nd Palio this summer.
The oldest continually-run horse race in the world, it is run only twice a year, in July and August. More than just a single event, this special cultural festival spans four days of trial races, dinners, parades and traditions. The days of the Palio begin when the horses are chosen and assigned to the participating contrade (neighborhoods), and culminate with the winning contrada demanding the coveted silk banner that signals victory, to be lauded and paraded all over the city that evening.
In order to truly appreciate and experience the The Palio, you must be immersed in the culture beforehand to gain an understanding of what makes it so special: which contradas are enemies or allies, what horses have won before and which are new to the track, which jockeys have won and who is known for selling out the contrada that mounts them. Gina lived in Siena for over thirteen years and as a member of the Selva contrada, her in-depth knowledge of the Palio, the Sienese and life in the contrada will ensure that your immersion into Siena and their time-honored traditions during the days of the Palio will be complete!
Our Days of the Palio tour includes:
* 5 nights private accommodation at a beautiful villa close to Siena
* Premium balcony seats above the Piazza del Campo to view the historic medieval parade, the charge of the mounted military police and most especially for the July 2nd Palio
* Special contrada dinner the night before the race in the Selva contrada (La Cena Generale) with its festive atmosphere of singing, drinking and speeches by the jockey, the captain and the head of the contrada
* Attendance at the event when they choose the horses and assign them to each contrada (La Tratta), which is second only to the Palio in terms of anxiety and excitement
* Guided walking tour of Siena with emphasis on Palio history
* All meals and transportation to all scheduled events
* All inclusive pricing: $4500/per person, double occupancy
We are only taking 10 people and we must have everyone signed up and committed for this tour by February 15th in order to purchase the best balcony seats in the Piazza.
Whether you’re a fan of horses and racing or just want to experience an amazing cultural event, the Days of the Palio are sure to charm and enthrall you. Come experience this glorious tradition with Gina and Mary!